Topband: Interesting Observation

cris blak cyo3fff at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 02:45:35 PST 2010

Hi Ed,

I use an INV-L with 36 short suspended radials. I check the resonance and its impedance using I-V method with current transformer and an oscilloscope.

For ground system I use also a 1.5m copper electrode. Using I-V method, without radials, only the copper electrode, I measured about 41 ohm. With all 36 radials I have about 33ohm. In between there is a peak of 56ohm with 8 radials than the impedance decrease to 33ohm.
With less than 16 radials, the resonance frequency vary with the soil characteristic. When the soil is wet, the resonance frequency decreasing  (conductivity is increasing). With 36 radials, the resonance frequency variation is much less. The soil surface coverage with 36 radials is about 70% (in my case).

My guess is that your problem is due to poor ground system and due to ground conductivity variation and less due to leaves.

To optimize the ground system quality, increase the ground coverage with radials as much as the impedance decrease will stop or vary a little.

For impedance measurement I don't recommend gears like miniVNA, MFJ2xx but N2PK VNA or, as simple as I-V method. This way, one will be sure about what he/she is doing!

Good luck,

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi