Topband: Europe Before Sunset

Mike & Coreen Smith ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Feb 7 09:24:24 PST 2010

SNIP

 But suffice it to say that
there is a one to two hour differential between the "hearing" and being able
to "work" most  very distant stations at sunset.

Milt, N5IA, VP6DX, XZ0A

VE9AA Says:
When we were out on CY9 in 1997 we were able to work EU's in broad daylight
a few hours after high noon....OK, OK, we were over salt water with a full
size balloon vertical and 1/2 way to Europe already....hi hi

>From home in FN66 (NB, Canada) I am never as lucky.  I can hear EU's
sometimes 2+ hours before my sunset and with my small station the only guy I
can recall working consistenly over the years much before my sunset is
(drumroll please):
ON4UN....yes, John has great great ears.  Not always the loudest EU either,
but averaged over the years, he's always one of the first to be worked when
the sun is still up here.

Mike ve9aa