Topband: Need antenna advice

Mike Waters W0BTU mrscience65704 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 20:07:29 PST 2010

Ok, I feel a little foolish asking this question, but I wonder if anyone on the Topband list can offer some suggestions as to why my transmitted signal on 160 might be so weak.

I can hear very, VERY well on 160. I am in a very quiet location, and I have two 2-wire bi-direction Beverages which hear VERY well. I've been playing with receiving antennas on 160 for a long time, and I decided it was finally time to see what I could accomplish on 160. But after finally erecting a transmitting antenna, my signal on 160 is very weak to every person I've ever tried to work. DX and stateside, CW and SSB. I put up the best xmit antenna that was possible at this time of year, just before the CQ 160 contest.

I can only run 100 watts at this time.

I tried the inverted-U antenna as described in the links below. It is very similar to the one that K3LR used in the first link. The antenna is over the top of a 60' oak tree, and the two elevated radials are about 10' high.

I'd put down a lot of radials and a top-loaded T antenna, but that's just not possible with the weather this time of year.

Am I expecting too much with just 100 watts? I don't think so; I've heard of many hams working DXCC without an amplifier. It was my intention to get a transmitting antenna working well at the 100 watt level, and then building a legal limit amplifier.

I've operated 3.5 through 144 MHz since 1976, but this is the worst experience I have ever had since I've been licensed. I know this is almost a stupid question, but I have to ask it before I go crazy.

Thanks in advance for your patience, gentlemen. :-)

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU