Topband: Radial requirements for 1/2 wave vertical?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Feb 19 08:01:13 PST 2010

WD8DSB at aol.com wrote:

> Perfect Ground (same as lots of ground  radials)
> 132 foot vertical : Max Gain = 5.15 dbi @ 0 Degrees
> 264 foot vertical : Max Gain = 6.76 dbi @ 0 Degrees

> Don

I'm not sure that perfect ground is the same as
"lots" of radials, where "lots" is 60 half wave
radials.

You are modeling, I measured real antennas.  The
measurements were done on 20 meters, so there
could possibly be differences on 160 meters.

Few stations have a half wave option on 160 meters.
However, the portable balloon antenna stations would
do well to bring extra helium and get the vertical
up to a half wave if that is easier that laying
out a bunch of radials.

Rick N6RK