Topband: Need antenna advice

Mike Waters W0BTU mrscience65704 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 19:23:09 PST 2010

Hello Guy,

Well, I'm quite happy with the inverted-L(/U) transmitting antenna now, after implementing the elevated radial changes you suggested.

Just now, I worked my 13th country on 160 CW (Bulgaria, 5646 miles) in the short time I've had my transmitting antenna up. I heard him calling CQ on my Beverage (with no replies), but he was so weak I almost thought it was a waste of time to call him. He came back to me on my first call!

And I still only can run 100 watts. (Parts are ordered that will boost that to 700 watts).

This may very well be merely anecdotal evidence for the folded elevated radial change you suggested. But I'm certainly getting better results now that I implemented the change you suggested. It was so frustrating before; I made many, many calls, but no replies. I just couldn't figure out what in the world could be wrong. This is how I thought that the inverted-L should work at the power level I'm running. Thank you so much!

I've been listening on 160 with my Beverages for some time now on 160, and it has really been a lot of fun just listening. But it is that much much more fun now that I can transmit. I think I have the "160 disease". :-)

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU