Topband: "Linear Loading" & 160-Meters

Julius Fazekas phriendly1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 04:44:14 PST 2010

> It is a waste to erect these beautiful antennas and then
> try to corner
> feed them aloft with coax. That ruins the pattern. Stick
> with voltage feed at the bottom ends of elements.
>

> 73, David K3KY

I'd disagree with this comment. While there is some pattern distortion, it is not a waste. The Half Square can still be very effective corner fed. I had one up for years and it worked VERY well. An option for corner feeding is to use coax as a leg and choke it at the appropriate length for the band of interest. This probably would not work to well if you had to bend the legs to compensate for low height.

If your lucky enough to have 90 to 100 foot trees in the "right" locations, I'd sure give a 160m half square a try. Keep in mind it has very deep side nulls, so you could use it to work EU/PAC from the Eastern US, but it would be pretty useless for Japan.

73,
Julius
n2wn