Topband: TX3D feedback

WW3S ww3s at zoominternet.net
Tue Jan 26 14:54:05 PST 2010

I have what most would call a modest topband station....a barefoot IC756 Pro
and an inverted L, supported at the apex off an arm on my Hazer at 50 ft,
the far end to a tree abt 40 ft or so...I heard TX3D yesterday, fairly good
signal (I don't have a separate rx antenna) but failed to work them thru the
pile....this am, about an hour earlier (5:30 local), I heard them, a little
louder, and worked them, first call, not many calling...no big deal, right
??? Imagine my surprise when I came home from work and realized my Hazer was
cranked down !!!!! Sunday, due to an approaching storm and high winds, I
cranked the Hazer down to about the 20 ft level and forgot about it until
now....they must have some good ears there, I think their webpage says they
are using magnetic loops for RX? Anyway, that makes 95 or 96 on
160....worked several new ones this season solely due to the Icom and it's
DSP, I have a high noise level here, and the Icom with DSP on clearly copies
stations I can't even begin to hear on my TS850....so there is hope for
those of us running barefoot with simple antennas....

73, Jamie WW3S