Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage

Mike Waters W0BTU mrscience65704 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 19:37:07 PST 2010

Hello Jorge,

> From: Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge at adinet.com.uy>
> Subject: Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage
> To: topband at contesting.com
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 3:01 PM
> Hello,
>
> will the performance of a beverage go down if I quit the
> resistor and ground
> at the end? I know that it will became bidirectional, but
> this is not a
> problem for me, much better if I can heard in both
> directions.
> For example I have a beverage for Europe, works fine. I
> will quit the
> grounded far end, so will be bidirectional, right?. BUT.
> the performance
> towards Europe will decrease or will remain the same?

Not terminating the far end will cause the Beverage to pick up noise from the near end. In some cases, that noise can mask the desired signal from the far end.

> So maybe instead to build a bidirectional beverage with
> ladder line and more
> expensive hardware, I just can do that.

I have two bi-directional Beverages. I just love the way they work. And they were not expensive at all. My wife just uploaded all my Beverage photos (there are over 100 of them for now) at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/katie65752/BeverageAntenna#

Most of them are of a very heavy branch (that fell out of the top of a large tree during freak winds last May) that landed near one end of the NE-SW Beverage. That gives you some idea of just how strong that galvanized electric fence wire is! Ladder line would have broke, I'm sure. I could not push on the branch and lift it one inch, it was so heavy.

The photos are presently unsorted and uncommented. Eventually, I'll probably enhance them and place them and other Beverage info on a new web site. I hope they give you some ideas for a Beverage of your own.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU