Topband: Antenna Modeling

Hardy Landskov n7rt at cox.net
Sat Mar 6 19:01:37 PST 2010

Randy,
I highly recommend the ARRL antenna course and buying a few CD's from
Cebik's website. I was trying to model a loaded 80 meter beam once with
short elements. It can't be done with the available software and apply a
taper schedule. Very wild answers; you will get an answer but it won't be
right. Much frustration!!
Other gottchas are right angle corners, wires that are very close together,
drastic changes in taper schedules, and radials very close to ground. I have
probably missed a few others but even taking three college antenna design
courses did not prepare me for modeling.
I learned the most from doing the ARRL first and then following up with
Cebik's CD's. Antenna design with the available software tools will yield
predictable results but is not a trivial exercise. It's always GIGO. Garbage
In Garbage Out.
GL es 73 Hardy N7RT