Topband: re Increase in Topband noise levels.

jonathan white jonathan.white20 at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 10 13:37:25 PST 2010

 Hi Bob,Paul and the gang.
I can sympathize with you,from going from an area that was probably
quite devoid of RF mush to descending into RF hell.
I moved from London 25 yrs ago,and even then the RF noise "sky" was
pretty noisy especialy if you lived in south London and chased 144 mhz
DX, due to the Crystal palace transmitters and associated hardware on
those towers making 144 mhz difficult due to elevated noise floors.
So moving to Essex on the coast was a revelation,although due to kidz
and life not much amateur radio happened.
So now retired,A  decent rx/tx and  caught the topband illness ,what
happened plasma,computers dimmers and every thing you can think of as
now I am surrounded with high density housing 4 houses to an acre so an
S8 noise level in the evenings.
But think of the poor amateurs who live in London where the 160 and 80
are basically unworkable.
And they wonder why our hobby is in decline,us and amateur astronomers
are a endangered species.
Soon we will be using digital modes like wsjt or Olivia just to get a
contact

                                         Regards Jon