Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Wed Mar 17 08:54:15 PDT 2010

I concur. Granted, my system for the inv-L is not ideal but it seems
to work for me. I have dead bug radial base with 60 some 130'
radials. Dead bug in that in the middle of the stainless plate is a
hole and my Butternut is in there. There are two ground rods at
either end of the radial plate. I also have my 160 Inv-L & 80M Inv-L
shields attached to different radial bolts as well as a 40M & 30M
verticals being attached the same way.

This plate is placed at the center of a triangle of three trees at
the Marsh border (so I can get as many radials as possible on the
salt marsh) I have a Dacron rope around each of the trees about 30"
off the ground and pulled taut (This was originally to keep deer from
wandering into the antenna). and to this end, it's been a good idea
as I see deer tracks all around it but not within the triangle.

I made a spud gun as shown in QST and bought a larger valve and used
larger PVC with a larger PVC "Spud". I have a large open faced
fishing reel with short rod & eyelets that fit on the end of the
barrel. 60 pounds of pressure from a tire pump and I can get the spud
easily 100 feet over the tallest oak around. The spud has a loop at
one end which attaches to the swivel at the end of the monofilament
line. The thing is so accurate that I can always get that spud
through a 5' of clear-sky opening in the trees without having to try
again. Far better than a slingshot or bow & arrow for I'm using 30
pound monofilament and the heavy spud pulls that line right through
the trees where it falls and when I attach the rope to hold the
antenna to the swivel & pull it through, it always goes through &
over the trees without being snagged and the monofilament breaking.
Truly a one step procedure.

So I aim the spud through that opening and so that it will travel
over the tallest tree nearby and when it lands I attach the antenna
wire (Cat 6 cable, soldered at both ends with a ceramic insulator at
one end & eyelet at the other. I pull the insulator through the trees
till the wire is tight.

BUT... at the feedpoint end, I see how much wire is needed to attach
to the center of the coax and then make a loop knot (the simplest
kind of knot where it would be a loop of wire except I run the wire
through the loop) above the dacron rope that keeps the deer out. I
also make a second knot loop which goes around the dacron barrier. I
connect those two knot loops with a short piece of dacron so as to
allow a bit of sag. I then attach a separate dacron rope through the
loop knot which is on the barrier rope and then attach the loose end
to the ground rod next to the plate.

I shuffle things now so that if the antenna wire is pulled tight, the
top loop pulls the dacron rope fixed between the loops without
pulling the top wire sag totally tight and that the deer barrier rope
when being pulled upward does not pull the bottom sag completely
tight. What this does is allow me to always have the feedpoint
elevated from ground but also prevents the antenna tension from ever
pulling on the center conductor of the coax.

At the far end where the insulator is, I can't get a pulley up & over
the trees so what I do instead is pull the antenna wire till it is
taut (to be sure I have all the slack out of the wire) and then tie
one end to the narrow end of a tree branch I cut down, it is 2-3" at
the thick at one end and 1" at the other & is maybe 10' long. It lies
loose on the ground. When I actually tie it to the branch, I loosen
up the rope so it is not constantly pulling on the wire. When the
wind blows the trees, the feed point never feels tension and the
other end is allowed to pull that branch up if needed to allow relief
and it always settles back to ground afterward, back to where I set
it to be.

Every so often I check to see if the rope has settled more in the
tree and if it did, I just take up the slack on that end tied to the
pole.

I'm right on the coast with an open view to the ocean at one end of
the cove and right at the marsh line where the winds are the most
severe. I have only had to replace the 160M wire only once and that
was after we had sustained 60 MPH winds for several hours. Using that
spud gun, I had the new wire up, and finished in about 30 minutes.

I know all that was kind of wordy but I wanted to explain everything
so it would be easy to follow if someone else wants to do the same.

I forget which month that Spud Gun was explained in QST, it was 1-2
years ago. I made one just like in the magazine but then I fiddled
with the valve and made it a bit better. I then ordered a larger
valve from Ebay. Either would work but I wanted a heavy duty version
that would be sure to do anything I would ever ask of it. Minus the
monofilament, that sucker would take down a deer at 300'...

73,
Gary
KA1J