Topband: 'Spud Gun'

Tom Boucher tom at telemetry.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:40:58 PDT 2010

Can anyone give me more information on Gary's 'Spud Gun'? I have been using an angler's catapult, with monofilament line, for years to put my topband wire halyards over trees, but the limit is about 60 ft and the catapult is not too accurate.

BTW I have found that nylon rope is much better than Dacron or Polypropylene for halyards over trees as it is much tougher and just won't break. Dacron (also known as Terylene or Polyester) will abraid on the tree branch and eventually wear through. Polypropylene is cheap and very readily available but is attacked by UV and gets very weak after a while.

73
Tom G3OLB