Topband: 5R8X

N7KA at comcast.net N7KA at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 20:35:22 PST 2010

Yes, there is some poor operating.  There are also some honest mistakes, wrong VFO (I AM GUILTY).  They ask for W1W? and hords answer, 1"s thru 0"s.  I saw N7DD's comment about the previous evenings opening, I was busy that night, and made it a point to be there the following night.  I sat in front of the radio for quite some time hearing nothing then I hear a friend 200 miles NW west of me calling someone.  Who was he calling as I hear nothing as I listen down 2 or so, maybe 5R8X.  YUP, it's possibly (97%) 5R8X who he was calling by looking at internet spots.

About 20 minutes later 5R8X comes up to very weak copy level.  A large pileup up freq +2.  I wait another 10 minutes and signal from them builds.  OK, time to call.  I split UP about 700Hz above the top end of the calling pileup and send my call.  NADA, they work another station, then QRZ.  I send my call twice, they respond and they are in the log.  OK, time to celebrate.   BTW, I worked them 20 minutes before my 200 mile NW friend.  Entirely propagation in my opinion.  A big station here;  RIght?

Nope, a 1/4 wave sloper (bottom end toward Europe) for RX and TX and 1300-1500W.  It was a matter of GOOD PROPAGATION CHANGING, to timing and  avoiding the major pile-up.  Propagation changed as they moved closer t o their sunrise and I caught the optimum time for this QTH THAT NIGHT.  Had conditions not been as good as they were that night I would be one less entity worked on 160M.  It was a LUCKY, VERY GOOD NIGHT.  YOU JUST HAD TO HAVE YOUR BACK SIDE SITTING IN THE CHAIR TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE GOOD PROPAGATION THAT NIGHT. IT'S A LOTTERY EVENT!!.

Yes, things have changed.  Take 6M, folks are discovering "new" propagation modes?  Such conditions have probably existed for years but the lack of folks monitoring the bands, say, 20 years ago vs today we are discovering modes that have existed.   There is an advantage having many extra ears listening.

Yes, packet spotting has created its own problems, out of control animals, but one can learn to use  the info positively.  It's frustrating a lot to hear the constant calling.  We just need to be smarter than those folks.  GREY LINE plus GREY MATTER ARE A POWERFUL COMBINATION.

BTW, you East Coast guys should try 160M (6M also) from the Rocky Mountains to the west coast  The W6 (true Calif. guys) , really have a tough time of it.  Thats why 160M and 6M are so much fun.  "IF YOU BEL IEVE IN MAGIC"...you know the rest of the son g .

Arne N7KA
New Mexico, DM65

Arne N7KA
New Mexico, DM65