Topband: LINEAR vs TOP LOADING

Bill and Liz McHugh magoo at isp.ca
Sat Apr 23 05:02:36 PDT 2011

My first 160M vertical was linear-loaded and it worked fine....or so I thought.  The late K6SE did an EZNEC analysis of my antenna vs what I am using now, which is an 80 ft top-loaded (three wires) and his analysis showed a considerable improvement in efficiency moving to the top-load.  I have a smaller version at our summer place and it is 61 ft top-loaded-it also works very well.  I have been able to work much more DX running barefoot and QRP with the top-loads as compared to the linear-loaded vertical..  While this is just a subjective evaluation on my part, it is supported by the EZNEC analysis which showed an increase of several percent in the efficiency of the top-load antenna.

Bill VE3NH/VE3CSK