Topband: MA160V SWR/match

jcjacobsen at q.com jcjacobsen at q.com
Tue Aug 9 14:02:54 PDT 2011

Paul N0AH, is having "fun" tuning his MA160V vertical antenna:

<snip>
Now, do I just use the Pro's III tuner or the Amidon UnUn to
minimize SWR at the feedpoint-

<snip>

Paul,
You could also try 10 or 12 turns of #12 or 14 gauge wire, 2" diam across the feed point and ground.
Spread/compress the turns to get the lowest SWR/best match. It's fastest if you have an antenna bridge/analyzer of some type. Your bandwidth will be rather narrow but then you could touch it up with the tuner. This is what I do with a H.B. 40 ft vert for 160/75/40. I go for the best macth on 160, and let the other bands be. As long as the resonance is mid point of where I operate on all three bands, everyone is happy: Rig/tuner/ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can usually wander 30 or 40 kc........ um, make that KHZ, each side of resonance without a lot of problems. I'm no antenna Garu, so with that being said, YMMV.

73 and good luck with the project.

K9WN Jake