Topband: Bi-Directional Beverage Question - DXE Polarity

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 05:50:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:46 AM, John G3PQA <g3pqa at onetel.com> wrote:

> Assuming a voltage is put on the transmission line one would have thought
> the reason is not just phasing.

I'll bet they don't put a DC control voltage on it. But I'm also assuming.
:-)

On the other hand, a DC control voltage could be very useful to switch a
separate run of open-wire line in and out of the circuit (that is, to
remotely change the length of the Beverage). I have often thought of doing
that myself, to change the beamwidth of the Beverage for use on different
bands.

Maybe someone will hang a voltmeter on the feedline and let us know what
they find, as the Beverage is switched in both directions. But I think if we
open up the reflection transformer enclosure, you will not find a relay.

73, Mike
http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html