Topband: Testing for common mode noise

Don Kirk wd8dsb at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 04:00:23 PDT 2011

 Jim K9YC said :

Second, a common mode choke does not in any way degrade
the signal nor the performance of the antenna.

 but after more offline discussions with Jim about a posting by W8JI warning that a improper value common mode choke can actually make things worse, Jim clarified his statement as follows : "My advice is based on using a "good" choke -- that is, based on the    data in my RFI tutorial.  For an RX antenna, 14-18 turns through a    single #31 toroid should be quite effective on 160-80M."

Thanks to Jim and everyone else that responded to my posting.

Don (wd8dsb)