Topband: Testing for common mode noise

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 24 08:17:13 PDT 2011

I would also add that many times a SINGLE choke will not work and can
actually make things worse.  This is because miscellaneous capacity to
ground, or actual grounding may be already minimizing the common mode to a
degree before you add the choke.

Adding the single choke may ISOLATE the miscellaneous grounding.  Then there
is a NEW pattern to the common mode current that has a current null at the
new choke, but has a current maximum at an unfortunate place.

Adding the SECOND choke ~125 feet away from the first one puts two nulls
125' apart.

If you BEGIN your suppression planning for TWO chokes to START with, it
kills all those single choke woes before you ever get started.

If you want to do it a piece at a time, plan the TWO spots and put in the
one nearest the antennas first.

73, Guy.