Topband: My take on ARRL 160

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Dec 5 17:11:19 PST 2011

Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> It's pretty much demonstrated that there are a lot of people who are
> "tone deaf", that is, they simply cannot tell apart two tones of
> different frequencies if they are "somewhat" near to one another.
> This is an audible approximation of color blind.  Since this does not

There must be a lot of variation.
I used to have a turntable that never sounded quite right to
me, but I could never put my finger on what was wrong with it.
One day, I had an opportunity to A/B it with another turntable.
I immediately noticed that the pitch was different.  The other
turntable had a strobe on it and I was able to determine that
my turntable was going at 33 2/3 RPM, a 1% error.  (The other
one was dead on).  This is something like 1/6 of a half tone.
I was shocked that this tiny change was audible.  So for
me, it seems easy to zero beat.  But as you say, YMMV.

Rick N6RK