Topband: HK0NA Malpelo 2012 Topband update

Gregg Marco W6IZT w6izt1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 11 07:23:28 PST 2011

I thought I would take a moment to update the 160 meter community on our
Topband plans for the upcoming HK0NA 2012 DXpedition to Malpelo. We have
kept the DX community at large up to date through the normal news outlets.
However this update is more specific to our 160 meter operating plans.

We will have 2 operating locations. Both locations will have 160 meters
capabilities and legal limit amplifiers. The distance between the  two
operating locations is approximately 300 meters and the difference in
elevation is almost 200 meters!  Two operating locations are a necessity to
provide a low take off angles in all directions.

The camp lower in elevation "OP B, or Baja" will be our main camp and is
located adjacent to the military facilities. "OP A, or Alto" will be located
very close to the top of the highest point on Malpelo. The antennas for OP A
will be located on top of the highest peak. The personnel operating from OP
A will have to make a very difficult and dangerous 200m vertical climb on a
daily basis to man the stations. OP B will be the primary 160m station for
the eastern US, Europe, South America, and Africa. OP A will be the primary
operating location for the western US, JA/Asia, and VK/ZL.

Our current antenna plans call for an Inv L for 160 at OP B, with Pennants
for receive, and for OP A an Inverted V broadside to the US and JA for 160
and Pennants for receive. At 300 meters above the sea we are confident that
the efforts to establish this operating location and antenna selection will
result in an outstanding signal on 160 to those areas of the world that have
been most challenged to work Malpelo in the past.

Establishing an operating location from OP A comes at a considerable
expense. We have expanded an already strong team with the addition of
several experienced DXpeditioners to man the increased number of stations.
(from 6 to 10). This has also enabled us to extend our stay on the island.
We are making every effort to minimize the risk in transit for OP B to OP A
through the extensive use of safety equipment wherever possible. Fortunately
we have a commitment from the Columbian Military and the crew of our
transportation vessel to assist with transporting equipment, fuel and water
to the OP A site.

An advance team of operators from Columbia are leaving for the island on
Christmas day to begin the efforts of establishing the camp infrastructure,
and setting up the antennas.

One of our goals is to drop Malpelo out of the top 100 on the DXCC most
wanted list from the current spot of #11 worldwide. Operations of this
magnitude are expensive. This one in particular also comes with a
significant element of risk. The operators are bearing the majority of the
expenses. But without support from equipment sponsors, major DX
organizations, clubs, and individuals this trip would not be possible.

Contributions are still needed and very welcomed. Please visit our website
at www.HK0NA.com and click on "how can I help"..

Lastly, we have a tremendous group of equipment and DX organization
sponsors, please support them whenever possible.

73s, Happy Holidays, and hopes that we are in your log on 160!

Gregg

W6IZT

Co-leader