Topband: The antenna is UP!

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 18:01:53 PST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 13:59 -0700, James Rodenkirch wrote:
> Bill: if you get on 160 I'll be listening for you ---- I can only run 20 watts max (most often I'm QRP power) but I'll certainly be listening around and if'n I hear ya I'll be calling ya!
>
> For others:  I sure could use a sked with someone located in VA and MS as those are two of the closer states I need to work for QRP WAS on 160 meters (get those two and I'll only have 7 more states to go, albeit all of them are on the east coast and conditions haven't been very good lately for even hearing any east coast stations out here in s/w Utah with my not so good antenna system).
>
> So, anyone in MS or VA who'd like to try a sked this evening or, perhaps, tomorrow morning let me know.  Thank you!  72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

Hi Jim,

Thanks. I was able to load my Johnson Ranger on 160 into that antenna
with a cobbled together matching circuit. At the time there wasn't much
activity on 160 (daylight). W1AW was laying the S meter up past S9 and I
heard a couple of 3's on SSB who were near S9 and were talking about
their transmitters with 100 watts and 90 watts...up here in northern
Michigan - daylight propagation. I need to focus on a more permanent
matching circuit AND put together the glue to run the Johnson with one
of the receivers. It's after dark now and 160 is getting busy.

While I was slaving away trying to get my TX to load on 160 and 80 I
uncovered an intermittent coax jumper! I think Murphy likes my shack.
Things got easier after that. No more connectors from Radio Shack for
me.

73,

Bill  KU8H