Topband: Noise problem question

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Dec 19 15:29:48 PST 2011

On 12/19/2011 04:41 PM, Joe Giacobello, K2XX wrote:
> It's more or less centered on 1836 and is quite wobbly and varies in
> amplitude and frequency.  It's about 2.5 KHz wide, and it doesn't vary
> in strength when I change directions on the RX array.  I'll have to
> check for a badnik somewhere in the house.

When I got back on topband in 2002 I discovered the band had been
invaded by what might best be described as unstable growls, each
about 3 kHz wide, between 1810 and 1820. There used to be several,
then last year there was just one. This season there is just one,
but it seems consistently higher in frequency than the one I had
last year. These things drift around a bit. There is very little
change in strength when I switch receiving directions. The noise
seems to come from everywhere, perhaps radiating from many points. I
discovered I can also hear them at the club station, 2 miles away.

A few years ago I suddenly had a much stronger one show up. It
turned out to be a bad computer power supply in my own home. That
one did vary in strength as I switched antennas, strongest when on
the Beverage pointed toward my house.

73,
Paul N1BUG