Topband: Top Band INactivity

Chortek, Robert L Robert.Chortek at berliner.com
Fri Mar 4 08:29:47 PST 2011

>> From: "Diane and Edward Swynar" <deswynar at xplornet.ca>
>>or has general activity on
>> 160-meters declined significantly in the past few
>>weeks...?

This morning, the band seemed dead (more on this later).  No stations
could be heard. I called CQ on and off for maybe 45 minutes, with no
answer.  When I wasn't calling CQ I was tuning the band looking for DX.
I thought there was no propagation. Then, a JA called me with a very
nice signal - S7/8.  What a surprise. Then, HL5IVL called with an
equally nice signal.  It was clear to me, at least this morning, that
the band was open but no one was operating (at least for a while).

I think a parallel can be drawn between dxing on late season dxing on
160 and Spring skiing.  In the later part of the ski season, there is
still plenty of snow, but most of the skiers have moved on to other
interests.   So it is with dxing on 160 - still plenty of propagation,
but fewer stations operating.

73,

Bob/AA6VB