Topband: CAUTION - POWER LINES (was N. American 'Band Plan')

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro at k4ro.net
Mon Oct 17 16:59:13 PDT 2011

Hi Steve,

Thanks for several contest QSOs over the last year. It's nice
to see that you are active on many bands including 160M, and
having some fun with the contests as well.

After looking at your photos, I became quite concerned when
I saw an antenna wire less than one foot from a power line
(literally seven inches from the house drop line, according
to your photo caption.) This is a potential hazard that I
would not be comfortable with. I would encourage you to find
a way to get more distance between the antenna wire and the
power line. Please be extra careful when working around power
lines. The drop line to your house still has plenty enough juice
to kill you, should it come into contact with the antenna.

I realize that this did not answer your specific question, but
I wanted to bring this potential hazard to your attention. I have
posted this message to the group in hopes of alerting others who
may be tempted to get a little more height on their inverted L,
but are near a power line. Please be careful folks!

73, Kirk K4RO