Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Sep 5 07:22:06 PDT 2011

> I've been a ham for 37 years, but I've spent my entire ham "career" on
> 80-10m (with the exception of 7 countries worked on 160m about ten years
> ago).  For the most part, the same obstacle has kept me off TopBand that
> prevents most - antenna space.
>
> My goal is simple - make DXCC on 160m within the next 2 years.

Hi Mike - welcome to the topband reflector and 160 meters.

I think the first thing would be to turn you 90 degrees and get you thinking
vertically.  Most any modest vertical with a decent ground system will kick
the pants off any horizontal piece of wire.

If you are able to get a wire up about 60 or 70 feet - then an inverted L
antenna will be an excellent choice.  Essentially it is a half piece of wire
- with half of it vertical and it acts like a top loaded vertical.  This and
a couple of beverages if you can manage (and a KW) should put you in
excellent position to work DXCC quickly.

The Cushcraft 160 meter vertical also works well.  I have worked VK6 from
Oregon with 100 watts with one of these.  However, an inverted L antenna
will work even better.

See you in the pileups.

Tree N6TR/7