Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question

K2RS K2RSonline at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 16:37:10 PDT 2011

Mike,

I agree 100% with Price and Tree. As a relative newcomer to 160, from
personal experience my suggestion would be to go with an Inverted-L with
raised radials -- no need for a ground connection and more efficient
than buried radials. Check out the March 2010 issue of QST for an
excellent article by Rudy Severns, N6LF, who did real-world comparisons
of various ground system configurations for verticals and found that in
his testing that 4 raised radials were within .2 db of 64 radials on the
ground. Something else to consider: elevated radials will require less
work than a bunch of buried radials you'll be walking away from in a
couple of years.

Last season was my first on 160 from this QTH. With 100 watts and an
inverted-L with the top at about 70' and the end sloping down to only
about 15' high, with two 1/4-wave radials six-feet high, bent to fit in
my yard, I worked 77 countries, including ZL8X. Needless to say, the
antenna works better than I ever imagined.

As for receive antennas, DXCC would be a lot closer now if I had a
decent receive antenna last season, which is crucial on 160. So, if you
have the room definitely put up a Beverege or two. And if you don't go
with a Beverege, plan on an alternative receive antenna. Like the old
saying goes; "you have to hear 'em to work 'em." Nothing's more
frustrating than hearing guys work a DX station that's in and out of the
noise, knowing you could possibly work him too if you could only hear
him just a little better. That happened to me many times last winter and
it's why the off-season antenna work here is focused on installing a
couple of receive loops.

Welcome to 160 and good luck this season.

73,

Jack   K2RS

On 9/5/2011 11:21 AM, Price Smith wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I have to agree with Tree.
> A vertical antenna is the way to go. With your trees, an Inverted L would be
> a great transmit antenna.
> I would also recommend that you get a copy of "Low Band DXing" bu John
> Devoldere ON4UN. It is available
> > From the ARRL. Great source of information.
>
> 73 de
>
> Price,  W0RI   Near St. Louis  160 DXCC 180 countries

"Sent from my computer, 'cause phones are for talking."