Topband: Effect of current max not at base of vertical.

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 23 20:00:48 PDT 2011

Using an accumulation of remote beacon network measurements is probably the
most reliable, and the only sky-wave measurement available to us for real,
unbiased measurements for ham testing of this sort.

The thimble analysis of George's setup, is that the missing half of the
radial field will cause double the current on the west side and obviously no
current on the east.  The double current on the west will not cancel the
ground induction field from the vertical resonator which has it's field
uniformly distributed around the compass.  So induced current-in-the-dirt
losses in immediate vicinity below the radiators will be significantly
without radial field cancellation benefit.  The 40 radials will most likely
be a satisfactory low R current sink, without significant effective series
resistance losses, for the feed coax shield.

The greatest potential induction loss is always in the immediate vicinity of
the vertical radiator, due to the inverse cube aspect of magnetic field
strength vs. distance.

It's a guess on my part, but from Google maps satellite view, since the
seaward edge of the property (nice digs!) appears to be a deck and not
antenna supporting palms, this puts the antennas' feed point back onto the
property a bit, implying loss-able material in the 20-30 feet of potential
maximum losses around the base before seaward below-the-horizon radiation
encounters friendly sea water. So the usual ground induction loss potential
is in play, depending on where the verticals actually are on the property,
possibly nearly as much as if the sea were not there.  And the "soil"
characteristics won't be midwest rich pastoral soil for the field, but
buildings, concrete, etc.

This sets up the site as a ground induction test bed.  No series R
counterpoise issues, but has exposure to ground induction losses from the
vertical radiator due to non-uniform distribution of counterpoise current
around the compass.

The longer vertical, with it's current center probably up at the coil, will
have a lot less ground induction than the coil-less wire, which will have
its max at the ground. We have George's results, which follow on results of
better than expected results with 80 meter end-fed halfwave "L"s with their
current max up at the bend.

73, Guy.