Topband: Inverted L Question

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 29 03:06:32 PDT 2012

Hi, Lloyd,

Using an L with the vertical running next to a tower like that means that
your tower is FULLY coupled to the L as if they were both transformer
windings.  The principal determination of performance in this situation is
the tower, not the L.  You will find that all conductors on the tower are
fully induced.  For all practical purposes, the L is just another way to
load a tower.

This is very easy to model.  In quite a few situations, there will actually
be more current in the tower than in the L, particularly for shorter towers.

My collection of stories about running L's next to towers, alas, mostly has
poor outcomes.

My personal advice on L's includes "Never use a tower to support the
vertical rise of an inverted L --  there are better ways to load a tower."

There ARE ways to make the L work.  Problem is that most people don't want
to ground and bypass tower conductors and run radials, etc, and by the time
you've done that, the tower is perfectly prepared to load the tower itself
and the L is not needed for anything.

73, Guy.