Topband: Soldering in the wild!

Charles Moizeau w2sh at msn.com
Sat Aug 4 21:07:15 PDT 2012

Herb's suggestion is worthy, but needs a qualification as to the kind of tape to use.

Over time the adhesive layer of just about all tape will separate from the tape itself.  This will happen when installed in the field or even if left for a couple of years or more on an indoor shelf.  The result is a gunky mess on the presumed object of preserved value.

The only tape I use for a variety of antenna projects is 3-M (yes, brand specific) blue painters tape, widely available.

The stick-em never leaves-em the tape-em!

All outdoor soldering here is done with lead-free solder, and only 96 pct SN, 4 pct AG is used, but that's another story.

Such soldered joints, and all mechanically contrived connectors, are first covered with the specified 3-M tape and then any kind of goop may be lathered over the junction.  Any later surgical intervention is swiftly made with the point of a sharp knife blade.

This 3-M tape has almost no tensile strength at all.  But interestingly its outer surface has amazing longevity in an outdoor environment.  I use a few tight turns around my various antenna rope halyards to mark the tie-off points on their ground level attachment points.  Loosened in advance of a storm, it's a great help for me to know later where to put things back together.

After a couple of years, the bright blue color of the tape will have faded but the tape still remains solidly in place, albeit a bit more brittle.

Gud schtuff es vy recommended.

73,

Charles, W2SH