Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Dec 3 19:42:53 EST 2012

Tree wrote:
>> 3.  Send only 5NN <section>.  Do not send my call, BK, etc
>
> I'll actually disagree with this.  Sending "my call" eliminates any
> confusion about who is being worked.  In many situations on 160 - it is
> very handy.  I once got called by W8JI after 10 minutes of CQing with no
> answers.  I wasn't really sure he was working me or not since there were
> lots of people on the band that I couldn't hear (like all of Europe).
>
> Tree N6TR

On occasion, this might make sense.  The trouble is that
I will have already typed in "N6RK" by the time I have figured out
that he is sending my call.  Is there any easy way to fix
this in N1MM other than clicking "wipe" with the mouse?  By
the time I have done that, I have missed his call and have
to QRZ.  My operating skills are merely adequate, not great.
Any interruption of the routine is bad.

Rick N6RK