Topband: Copying weak signals

Ralph Parker ve7xf at dccnet.com
Wed Dec 5 15:29:02 EST 2012

>my digital recording (Adobe Audition) possesses a similar mental capacity?
>There is a noticeable disappearance into the noise after...

Having spent over 45 years recording sound, I agree that the signal level
decrease is real. And easy to see on good recording software.

>...once thought that power amplifiers lost efficiency after a few characters

With tongue in cheek, I say that I think that the ionosphere gets
overloaded after a few characters. 160m ionosphere is somewhet delicate at
best.

I do, however, notice this effect in most HF contests, and it's always the
weak sigs that suffer, of course, as a few db at the lower levels makes a
BIG difference.

Ralph, VE7XF