Topband: Ground mounted 1/2 wave

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Dec 18 12:03:03 EST 2012

I guess I wasnt clear enough so lets start again.

We both agree that the .38 db increase is at all elevation angles since the
increase in efficiency at the feed doesnt change the pattern shape, just
levels. OK ?

Where the differences are is in the initial far field signal strengths from
zero to lets say 20 degrees. With a perfect theoretical ground the levels
are the same. If that held in reality then no matter what the ground losses
are the BC stations would not be spending the big bucks in radial fields,
even for 1/2 waves.

The city lot ham would be readily competitive with the antenna farm operator
or the little guy in a coastal salt water swamp.

My point all along is that ground losses change the shape of the main lobe
curve at low elevations and reduce signal levels there. Total power doesnt
change but it is no longer all radiated, some is now dissipated in the lossy
ground. Basic physics tell us you cant have both at the same time.
BC stations arent allowed to do that since it is the ground wave they are
required to radiate to their local audience, the sole reason of their
existence except for the few clear channel flamethrowers. A good ground wave
signal means a good amount of power in all of that main lobe which results
in the nightime skywave BCB DXers crave. Hams want some of that low angle
just above the ground wave to work DX and those that radiate a high
percentage of the output fed into the antenna to cover all those angles win
the gold. Other than saltwater there is no magic fix as some want you to
believe.

Many years ago there was a BC station in Lowell, MA that had a tower on a
4th story industrial building metal roof, that was the total ground. Im
about 6 miles LOS from there and the selective fading was intense. Their
ground wave was minimal but somewhere along the way the FCC allowed them to
operate. I dont remember the details but there were several "stories"
floating around about why they kept operating. It all went away during the
urban renewal of Lowell, establishment of an Urban National Park, and a huge
city investment in its future.

I suppose hams can use a high end local BCB station to evaluate changes as
they make them. Find a moderately strong steady station and monitor/chart
its strength for several days of the same weather. Then by adding radials,
rods, screens, perimeter wires, etc progress (or lack of) can be tracked.
By doubling radials each time from 4 to 32 or even 64 and having them all
precut and ready to unroll this can be done in a few hours especially with a
helper. Next comes the screen.

Carl
KM1H