Topband: Looking for OK, AK & HI scheds for WAS

Lloyd Berg - N9LB lloydberg at charter.net
Mon Dec 31 14:55:11 EST 2012

Hi Zack!

I'm located in neighboring Wisconsin, running a FLEX-5000A, and a
less-than-optimal 60 ft vertical.

I found the secret to working HI and AK from the "black hole of the
Midwest".  I've been able to work HI and AK many times when 160 "really
opens" to those areas just before my local dawn.  The enhanced band openings
only last 15 minutes or so.   When this occurs, the signals magically jump
up out of the noise and working them with 100 watts while listening and
transmitting with a short vertical is very do-able.   The trick is to catch
these short-lived enhanced propagation events.

73, GL, es HNY

Lloyd - N9LB