Topband: What do you use as a "RUN" Antenna?

Jeff Woods jmwooods at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 08:43:55 PST 2012

Mike,

I use a short (450') E/W bi-directional beverage when running.  This is antenna is a single-wire with transformers at both ends, feeding two co-ax runs to the shack.  The lines go into a switchbox where I can select either direction (terminating the unused co-ax in 75 ohms) OR, select both directions by paralleling the feeds to the receiver.  The parallel arrangement using both directions works well for running.

Next year I'm hoping to run two synchronized receivers and feed the east and west separately into each of the two receivers.  East will be in the right ear of headphones and west in the left ear.  This will help in picking out weak sigs from W7 calls that are actually in Florida and best received on the SE beverage :-)

-Jeff
W0ODS
Iowa