Topband: LOTW Participation

Wayne Mills n7ng at bresnan.net
Thu Feb 16 17:08:59 PST 2012

Jim.

There are a number of reasons why more people don't use logbook. There's the
perception that it's too complicated (mostly, IT guys have problems), and
the fact that non-US hams must send a letter to ARRL, unlike US hams. There
are also many people who like to collect paper cards. In Europe, the bureau
system is much more popular than it is in the US largely because incoming
and outgoing services are free with the membership in some national
societies -- never mind that their dues are far greater.

Actually, however, there are ma large number of hams who do use LoTW. Some
estimates put the number of at least semi-active DXers at around 100K to
150K. Consider then that the nearly 50K individual users of LoTW is quite
significant. Here's something to think about: I wouldn't be surprised to
learn that the percentage of regular LoTW users is higher than the
percentage of non-LoTW users also who QSL regularly. LoTW is a different
animal than conventional QSLing.

73, Wayne,  N7NG

Jackson, Wyoming