Topband: LOTW Participation

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Fri Feb 17 08:25:46 PST 2012

On 2012-02-17, at 11:01 AM, N1BUG wrote:

> "So by the same token, why would anyone deny the thrill of a LoTW confirmation to a ham who may not be able to chase confirmations by more traditional means? It costs nothing to upload to LoTW..."

Hi Paul,

And therein lies the rub...!

Imagine if you were mounting a DX-Pedition to some far-flung place, & your sponsors came up just short of all of your expenses---the balance would doubtlessly have to be covered by your own personal out-of-pocket monies...IF you QSL'ed by LotW.

On the other hand, the old-fashioned method of hard-copy QSL'ing presented an ideal venue to garner additional funds---and how many of us haven't appreciatively included an extra "green stamp", or two, in the envelope containing our own QSL card before posting it in the mail, as a final thanks for helping us "...get a new one"...?

What avenue exists for the DX-pedition to secure extra $$$ that might encourage LotW QSL'ing...? The honour system...? While many of us remain, indeed, "honourable", Hams are, in the final analysis, mere humans---and human beings being what they are, I suspect that the majority would simply "...take the QSL and run."

There are advantages to anything new, AND dis-advantages...! The benefits of on-line electronic logging & QSL'ing could actually have a NEGATIVE effect upon the continuation of the very activity that it supposedly plays a role in benefitting.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ