Topband: 3C6A

James Rodenkirch rodenkirch_llc at msn.com
Sat Feb 25 05:43:02 PST 2012

Several months ago, Eddy, in more of an act of frustration than anything, I cited several hams, by call sign, on another reflector for blatant adherance to the "non-DX code of conduct."  These two stations were heard in several pileups simply blasting away, never...NEVER listening, it appeared...unbelievably "bad form."

One fella wrote me back offering his "assistance" - he had crafted a "LID" award certificate and was more than willing to send it to the "offenders" I'd mentioned.  I said, "Hey. Go for it!  Works for me."

However, the PROBLEM is - this hand wringing and knashing of teeth over those types of 'operators' ("operators" used loosely) doesn't do a thing for us - we feel better, momentarily, LID certificates are sent and then...the next time we're engaged in a pileup, you/I/"we" will find more......there just are too many of 'em.

I hear 'em on all band and have resigned myself - particularly given that I'm operting at QRP levels - to the fact that I've got to outsmart two groups of DX chasers....the ones who abide by the "rules of conduct" AND the doofus types.  In short, and most often, that means I NEED to listen for both groups and pick my transmitting frequency with great care (i.e., avoid the doofus types AND understand where the DX station is listening, based on where I hear the calling station that he/she is working).

I will say I did have an enjoyable, non-stressed time working VP6T on 160, QRP --- simply 'cuz I happen to be listening on his QRG when he came on!  Hah...now THAT was a stroke of luck, 'eh????

I'm sorta reminded by this little ditty, when the conversation regarding poor operating styles picks up:  Life is hard....then you die!

72, ma Mon!  Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV