Topband: Reducing Noise in the Shack

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 21 12:59:12 PDT 2012

Dear Topbanders,

I use an ICE Model 475-3 AC Line filter in the shack. It provides
inductive isolation, overvoltage control, capacitive decoupling and
interference control of both common mode and differential mode signals.
It will handle 25 amp at 110 VAC.

Usually across the line capacitors are used to suppress differential
mode noise (usually termed X-capacitors).

And, too, common mode choke coils are used to suppress common mode noise
(in series); line bypass capacitors (Y-capacitors) supress common mode
noise.

This unit really works.

73,

John, W4NU