Topband: Deterring Critters

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Mar 13 16:01:29 PDT 2012

You can get coax with a PE outer jacket, although I think they usually
use MDPE instead of HDPE for coax. All you need to do is order the
direct-bury type, which should almost always have a PE jacket. Getting
the flooded kind will also help if you do get any tooth-holes in your
cable.

BTW, it's surprisingly reliable to test for a PE jacket using the
"fingernail scratch test". After you've done it enough times you can
identify a PE jacket by the "feel" when you scratch it. I know it sounds
goofy, but it's almost 100% reliable after you get the feel for it. PE
has a unique feel to it when scratched with an edge (like a fingernail
:-). Try it and you'll know what I mean. This is handy if you have
mystery wire and want to test it.

    -Bill