Topband: Deterring Critters

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Mar 13 16:25:49 PDT 2012

On 03/13/2012 07:01 PM, Bill Wichers wrote:
> You can get coax with a PE outer jacket, although I think they usually
> use MDPE instead of HDPE for coax. All you need to do is order the
> direct-bury type, which should almost always have a PE jacket. Getting
> the flooded kind will also help if you do get any tooth-holes in your
> cable.

Yes, and it seems to deter them.

I was using regular PVC RG-59 cable for Beverage feeds for a while.
It was constantly getting munched by critters.

Since switching to RG-6 with a PE jacket three years ago (it also
happens to be flooded) I have yet to find so much as a single tooth
mark. It doesn't hold up to a chain saw very well though, and
neither does LDF5-50A or 0.84" CATV cable! ;-)

Paul