Topband: It is not so much propagation

Milt -- N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Mon Mar 19 11:23:01 PDT 2012

Beverages do NOT make lightning caused static crashes go away.  They can
significantly reduce the received level of the crashes from the directions
different from the listening direction.

However, in the listening direction Beverages will actually "clear up" the
crashes being heard from that direction.  In other words, those crashes will
become the predominant ones you hear with the exception of those caused by
local storms.

The crashes from the listening direction will not be as strong as they will
be when listening on the TX antenna.

The points I am trying to make are:

1.  Beverages work VERY well.

2.  Beverages will NOT eliminate all static crashes.

3.  There is no silver bullet, but Beverages are about as close to the
perfect solution as you can get.

4.  There is NO substitute for acreage.  I sincerely wish everyone had the
capability of installing Beverages.  But that wish is no different than my
wish that we all had our TX antennas at the edge of a salty ocean beach.
So, we live with what we have.

Mis dos centavos,

de Milt, N5IA