Topband: Outing The Scofflaws

W7RH midnight18 at cox.net
Tue Nov 13 12:58:29 EST 2012

Kudos to the operators at PT0S for their adjustment to band conditions
and volume of callers. I listened for two nights before making the dive
into the mayhem. To me the first few nights the operators were going far
to fast for the conditions especially for those in Rocky Mountain states
and West. That 2000 plus mile wall of thunderstorms was just too much to
bear.

Last night conditions were favourable and finally in the log. The
operators at PT0S were alternating their listening frequencies back and
forth. Perfect for those who don't have dual RX capability but with the
real ability to "hear" the DX station. I think its called good operating
and it is really under the control of the DX station to manage that aspect.

As for accidental and incidental TX on the DX stations calling frequency
I can handle that. However, the band police were causing just as much
damage as the intentional jammer. I might suggest that frequency
spotters always post split and then up/down. I realize that RBNs can't
handle this, operators beware.

What I can't handle is the intentional jamming that has been going on
for what seems like forever. There is one in particular that has a
unique identifying characteristic that needs to go away, loose his
licence, equipment and spend jail time. The one I am speaking of targets
DX'ers and contesters specifically. It really hurts in a contest when
this guy shows up and kills your chances of a few new multipliers.

The characteristics of this signal are as follows: A power amplifier is
in use, the signal is coming from the East at my location. The exciter
is a tube type TX and is spotted absolutely zero beat. At this point a
buffer or PA is tuned causing variation in amplitude and slight loading
changes of frequency and increase in distortion.

Any help finding the culprit would be appreciated.

Bob, W7RH

--

Bob Kile, W7RH
DM35OS