Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Nov 15 14:14:32 EST 2012

> Out of curiosity, has anyone ever really done testing of voltage buildup
> on a insulated antenna wire, VS a non-insulated wire ?
> Indoor antennas VS outdoor antennas of equal size?

I tested this extensively years ago, and there was no difference at all
except if the insulation was in an area of corona discharge.

All of the noise appeared related to corona, which was a function of exposed
sharp points, and all of the charge for a floating wire was the same
insulated or not.

I discussed this with KB8MU (just recently a SK) from NASA, because he dealt
with ion propulsion and electromagnetics, and what he found on spacecraft
and aircraft agreed with my earth-based experiments.

I used an electrostatic paint gun with water, and a modified garden hose, as
the charged water source.

I also noticed no difference on real antennas. My higher antennas with sharp
points get p-static, the low antennas or antennas with blunt ends do not.
Grounding and static drains make no difference except for the popping when a
dielectric charges and arcs.

73 Tom