Topband: Where to ground the Beverage feedline?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Nov 20 12:00:03 EST 2012

Only if this before  buying all those expensive 3' Type 31 Ferrite Rings
I could have saved some money. I though that having many 250-350 foot
lengths of RG-6 feedlines running all over the radial system (ROG's or
radials on the ground)  as well as having nearby 80 and 40 meter
verticals that during some contests where I am operating on 160 and a
guest is operating via remote control on 80 and 40, that trapping as
much RF from the  Receive Only coax shields made sense.  on some
Beverages I would get a de-sense making copy of weak signals very
problematic.  So I installed 12 turns on a 3 inch ferrite on both sides
of a common ground bus and several ground rods outside and about 20 feet
from the shack. I also have inline a KD9SV band pass filter with the
Beverage bank output and now it is possible to co-exist with other
operators on higher bands running full power.

Maybe getting a higher quality flooded coax meant for direct burial
would have been a better way to go but this is not convenient with the
low cost of cable TV RG-6 even here.   The coax shield at the feed
transformer on both the single wire and reversible Beverages is not
grounded, only the Beverage side secondary has a ground connection.

So now I am not sure if I have really been wasting time this way. f it
helps the debate I plan to take a very noisy Chinese switching supply
running from a car battery and an 800 watt inverter and lay it running
on several RG6 runs coming back to the shack at about 200 feet away
while checking the difference in noise reduction.

I thought that these toroid rings, although expensive, would buy me so
isolation from cable induce noise, whatever the source. Winding some
turns through these toroids of the AC power cable  on the wife's
entertainment center as made all IX vanish in the living room.  But if
it was wrong to buy all these type 31 ferrite rings,  keep you eyes on
e-Bay soon.

Herb, KV4FZ