Topband: Where to ground the Beverage feedline?

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Nov 20 14:42:03 EST 2012

As Ive mentioned here many times I started by removing noise sources around
the house as well as at a few cooperative neighbors. That involved Mix 33
1/2" x 7.5" rods and 43, 75 and 77 mix 2.4" toroids. Ive been doing this for
decades at 2 homes and long before most of the current crop of noise
suspects were even on the market.
That work continues and I can get up and personal with a battery radio to
each part I suppress as well as listen right at the AC panel.

The main feedline is 750' of 1/2" CATV hardline thats been in place since
late 1989 and is checked a few times a year with a 75 Ohm CATV load at the
far end. It is always dead quiet with just a single 4' ground rod driven at
an angle about 30' from the switching hub and then another about 100' the
house where it goes elevated over the lawn and down into the house using
RG-6 quad shield for the final 25' into and inside the house. The switch is
a RCS-8 with 750' of elevated unshielded control wires with a big 31 toroid
about every 100' since its in a narrow strip about 30' wide between the N/S
Beverage and the ends of elevated radials for 80 and 160. It was fine
without them on the ground but not at 6.5' tacked to trees where RF
triggered relays at times and seemed to couple noise into the Beverage. At
almost $7 a pop from Mouser it was a pricy education........but the 1000'
reel of wire was free maybe 20 years ago. Amidon prices are a rip off.

Another relay hub is fed with twin runs of elevated RG-6 quad from two more
2 wire bi directionals and about 250' and 200' of coax.

No ferrites at all on any feedline and the 73-202 transformers are using the
dual sleeves (4 per core)  Ive also championed here to provide minimal
coupling C.

All Beverages have their own antenna ground rod and radials at both ends as
well as a rod before the relay boxes for the last 2 mentioned. Some
Beverages at the rear relay box start only 10-30' from it so Ive used only 2
4' rods about 8' apart at the box for all 8 feeds. All unselected feeds just
float, no resistors used but doesnt seem to hurt anything; relays likely
have enough isolation and there is no daisy chaining thru multiple relays as
did the old RCS-4

Carl
KM1H