Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

Richard Fry rfry at adams.net
Wed Oct 3 12:05:53 EDT 2012

The elevation patterns of vertical monopoles over real earth has been
discussed in recent threads here
(http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/2012-10/msg00140.html).
The common belief based on NEC far-field elevation patterns for those
conditions shows little relative field at low vertical angles, and zero
field in the horizontal plane.  However the surface wave must be included in
a complete analysis of monopole performance, because it contributes
substantial low-angle radiation that will reach the ionosphere to generate
skywave service under the right conditions.

Below on this topic is part of an e-mail exchange of a few months ago
between Gerald Burke of Lawrence-Livermore National Laboratory and me, and
is quoted with his written permission.  As many will recognize, Mr. Burke is
co-author of the software engines used in NEC computer programs.

This text applies to NEC surface wave plots attached to my e-mail to him.