Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Oct 3 14:11:31 EDT 2012

I have long had a suspicion that some fraction of the power in surface
wave must be "converted" to skywave as the surface wave encounters
discontinuities in the ground medium (both physical geometry and
dielectric parameters). Some folks I know from work were doing research
on low-loss dielectric waveguides for microwave and millimeter waves
(somewhat analogous to an optical fiber for RF). The degree to which
these dielectric waveguides won't radiate despite not having a
conductive outer shield is a function of how smooth the bends are and
the degree to which discontinuities are minimized.

Another way to look at this is to ask the question - how would a
vertical perform if it were installed on a perfectly uniform ground of
average conductivity that conformed to the ideal geoid as compared with
a more realistic installation - hills, mountains, lakes, and other
abrupt changes in characteristics of the surface wave medium? In the
former case, would the surface wave contribute less or more to the
skywave power at low angles than in the latter case?