Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 3 20:22:09 EDT 2012

The tangle of tree roots in woods or forest is a discontinuity.  It's
an immediate discontinuity if the antenna IS in woods or forest (like
mine). A vein of sandy soil that angles into the ground going away
from a radiator is a discontinuity (like in my NW back yard and the
only reason this property would percolate for a septic field).  We
persist in using a model for our thinking that applies to broadly flat
farmland and other quite large cleared spaces.

W3LPL seems to have an advantage at very low angles on 160 that
exceeds his 4 square.  Just my sense from being up against him in
contests for years. Notably his antennas are out in a very large
cleared grassy area. No close discontinuities.

I have anecdotes that would agree with the idea of a blend that fills the notch.

But to prove it we can't use standing-man-with-meter. He may just be
sensing the current in the ground just below his feet that will never
be airborne. We need sitting-man-with-meter-in-helicopter to go up
there and prove that what you get from the ground up to twenty
thousand feet out 20 miles is a blend, and not a notch.

I find it curious that some of those that so insist on
standing-man-with-meter in affairs regarding performance of antennas
are willing to accept a considerable logical reach on "upward
launching" of ground wave without the appropriate metric **at
altitude**.  And at how many places would this flying experiment have
to be run all over the US to detect patterns of blend-defeat for some
cause at which we currently could only guess?  Would it blend at 30
mS/m and be utterly absent at 1 mS/m.  Or the dead opposite?

My gut lurch is toward some kind of conditional, less than common
blending.  But I got no proof, no measurements, no RBN, no ad-hoc
reasonable comparisons.  I don't find the arguments on logic from
either side particularly convincing.  I'm waiting for someone to nail
this one way or the other. Who do you know that owns his own
helicopter and looks for any excuse to fly it on a pretty day?

73, Guy.