Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Oct 24 09:56:59 EDT 2012

I have linked to an image of a NEC 4 vertical profile analysis of the WLS-AM
radiator.  As most everyone here knows, WLS is a legendary 50KW AM station
in Chicago.  WLS uses a 190 degree radiator and is the preferred antenna
height for most AMBC purposes since it's the height that produces the most
gain at zero elevation while simultaneously minimizing skywave lobes.

http://tinyurl.com/9zuqpre

Notice how the pattern is crushed to the horizon with very little of a high
angle lobe produced.    I ran a far-field analysis of three hypothetical
models over:  (1)  average soil conductivity [green]; (2) poor soil
conductivity [red]; and (3) highly conductive salt water [blue].  Notice a
few things from the colored overlay:

1) The WLS radiator over salt water produces a significantly improved field
strength at a distance of 1km over the other two models.  No surprise here;
2) The shape of the far-field profiles *appear* to change as a function of
ground conductivity.

However, if we were able to conduct a surface wave analysis and overlay the
three curves (4Nec2 does not appear to allow that in the surface mode, but
I'll check with the author), we would find that the shape of the curves
going up in Z axis vertical distance is the same.  I've run the model for
many vertical radiators and that's what NEC 4 reports.  This too should be
no surprise as ground wave effects to 3 MHz have been extensively documented
in academia since the 1930s.

Here again, if we were to believe that WLS produces no far field strength at
low elevation over anything but salt water, they would have very limited
daytime listeners - even with 50KW of output power.  So, to Rich's past
points, we need to consider both the far field and surface wave components
when computing far field strength over a range of elevations.  Don't just
believe that the far field plots we've seen time and again are always
representative of the actual low-angle field strength.  According to Jerry
Burke, author of NEC 4, the surface wave component can be a major part of
achieving ionospheric DX reach through at least 3 MHz.

Paul, W9AC