Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 24 16:50:34 EDT 2012

I have not personally seen work to validate signal strength and prove the
mechanics of arrival at various altitudes at 50 km.  Tons of speculation,
extrapolation.   NEC4 says that it doesn't continue.  But NEC4 also nicely
predicts the 2.8 km helicopter measurements.

There apparently is completely zilch commercial interest or need for the
answers to our speculations.  The question is in a niche within 160m
operation, itself a niche within ham radio, which is yet a niche within
general radio.  PLUS our propensity to want things for free, is it really
any amazement that the issue is not researched?

In my college days at Berea, Ky, I would listen at night to clear channel
650 WSM in Nashville (Grand Ole Opry, etc), using a 195 degree tower,
supposedly the Cadillac for low angle transmission.  In the daytime at a
distance of 165 miles, the 50 kW signal was there but very raspy to the
point of irritation at Berea.  I learned not to bother turning on that
station during day.  Complaints.  Some folks in the dorm had the same
response to scratchy radio signals as drawing fingernails across a
chalkboard.  At night the combination of a strong, clear WSM, live
broadcasts, and a wonderfully mellow 5 tube Zenith in a bakelite cabinet
was a near constant sound in that end of the hall.

I'm sure that WSM was happy to cover a radius most of the way to Knoxville
in the daytime.

At night they had a killer signal without any background noise.  I would
hear fading  as the signal started to come up at dusk, but nighttime fading
would have been from extremely loud to very loud, because I never heard
any.

So I would have to say that whatever passed for ground wave on that signal
was pure useless for DX in ham terms.  "Ground enhanced" or "ground ducted"
, or whatever you would want to call that, should be the same day or night,
right?   It was HUGELY attenuated from the night time sky wave.

So far, regarding this issue, I have seen/heard neither technical
measurement nor anecdote to contradict the NEC4 estimations.  I have other
issues with NEC4, but none related to this.   Yet.

Anybody know someone who owns a helicopter just looking for any excuse to
fly on a nice day?   It is possible to stack up graphs, equations, and
quotes from old textbooks until the BS buffer completely overflows all over
the rug.  But until we have sitting-man-with-meter-in-helicopter out at 50
km drop from operational ceiling to the ground, measuring all the while,
all we have is anecdotes that  follow NEC4, and no contradictions at all
from technically proper measurements.

73, Guy.